Refurbishing a credenza

image

It took about 20 hours, but a mixture of water and vinegar loosened up this odd glue enough for it to break off.  The glue ooze was really distracting and bright white.  I needed to give it some love.
image

image

It’s slightly darker when wet, but the glue is not wood glue, so it is really visible. I’m still not sure what it is, maybe a latex or polyurethane based adhesive?
image

image

Sadly, the mortis and tenon joint was the breaking point. I spent an hour with a Dremel dislodging the old glue from the wood.  It was sweet smelling.  I had to wear goggles and a dust mask.
image

image

I stopped when just could smell wood burning.. 🙂 and not the sickly sweet smell of the glue.
image

image

Uggg. Weird hole in the joint made for a sloppy dowel mating drill hole.
image

I ended up trying a new glue.. Elmer’s All purpose Glue All Max since my local Ace Hardware didn’t have the Wood Gorilla glue.  I bought an additional tie down to apply pressure. We had a clamp at work, but it was 6 inches too short to reach the length of table base.
image

You may hate me if you’re a purist, but I drilled into the feet to install adjustable metal feet. The original feet were a bit worn so I thought this would help it work on uneven surfaces.  I saved the saw dust skin case I need it later when I putty in the gauges..
image

image

I have to say, this is a lot of work. My secret dream of having a restoration, antique store as a hobby just went down the drain. 🙂

More tomorrow after the glue sets. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s